Saturday, October 26, 2013

March 25

Dear Family,

Paradise is great! We are very very close to the strip which is kind of weird. I feel like we are being disobedient just being close but as long as we don't cross certain streets we will be ok. We also have UNLV en our area. just saying, jon and nicole...if you visit unlv definitely look for 2 missionaries...they may or may not be in a 2013 grey ford fusion. We have a new car again. i get nervous driving new cars but because of the size of the area and the type of area it is important for us to have a car. Well, my companion is sister Zegarra. She is from Lima, Peru! She barely speak spanish at all. It was hard the first day or so because i had to get used to 100% spanish but now i just think first in spanish. We are going to have to work hard with the english because she only knows what they taught her in the mtc. She doesn't let it get in her way though. She reminds me a lot of Sister Cedillo actually. She is beautiful and she loves talking to and helping people. She knows the scriptures well too! I'm sure i'm going to learn a lot from her. She told me i speak spanish like a mexican. best compliment i've ever gotten :) She's already teaching me some peruvian culture with food and language. She's funny. She destroyed a cup-o-noodles trying to cook it on the stove instead of the microwave and other funny things with the culture. She tried a corn dog for the first time this week. it has been a fun twist to missionary work. Well, for starters i have to apologize a super a lot much because i feel REALLY bad but the GPS was stolen while we were at church. It actually happened the sunday before mom's birthday. I couldn't tell you on your birthday mom and then i forget the last week so the truth is coming out now. I'm so so sorry! We are diligent about locking the doors of the car. I think what happened is i locked the car without all the doors being completely closed which left one door open. I'm so so sorry again. I know it is just something but something that would be incredibly useful right now! With opening an area it has been really hard to find our way around. We try not to be but we are late a lot because we get lost or don't know how far things are. Either way, no excuses.  we are going to learn the area good with our map. So missionary work is good here. There are a lot of spanish people. This area is actually known for having more spanish people so we've recieved a lot of referrals. We are trying to stay on top of it. We also have been doing some street contacting. it's hard because if it's in english my companion can't participate very much yet. We met someone named jasmine at the bustop this week. She lives in another area but she speaks spanish so that was good. She's been inactive for years and years. lost her copy of the book of mormon and bible. She expressed her deep desire to come back to the church she loves but her embarrassement to actually do it. Her husband isn't a member and isn't supportive. We testified of the atonement and repentence. We testified of the scriptures and promised that the elders would visit. She just cried as her prayer was answered....Sister Zegarra and I on the other hand decided to get one last contact in before going home at 9. New missionarires bring a whole new level of faith to the mission which brings miracles to the mission. I love the simple reassurances that come with occasional moments that God can and is using us to answer prayers. i don't question that but it's sometimes hard to feel that it also applies to us when we just work so hard and feel we aren't getting ground. So, what do we do, we focus on the success stories. For example, right before i left, Gabriela told us that out of the blue juan moved out so that is one step closer to the gospel. i hope she continues working hard. bitter sweet goodbye with her. i love gabriela. Also, this last saturday there was a baptism of 7 people! 2 families into the paraiso ward. I felt the spirit strong and i was reminded of my truest and deepest desires to share the gospel with families. The savior worked hard and suffered much. so will i. but he overcame it. so will i. I love the gospel of jesus christ. thank you dad for your comments about stake conference. I admire and love you so so much. I am filled with gratitude for you every day. i feel so blessed to know that my parents love for me is a simple reflections of god's love me as well. Keep working hard and mom, if you do missionary work with members it is ok! what counts is if you do it! i bet he walked out of there thinking, " what a great missionary that sister burrup! i want to be a better missionary!" I love you all! Take care and happy happy eastern! what a special time of year to rejoice in the resurrection of Jesus christ. The essence of the gospel all focuses on his atonement which includes the ressurrection. I love you again!

Love

Hermana Burrup

ps- i met elder shaw. he's huge now! and sister shenk is serving in paradise so we'll see each other lots! I love it!

Dear President,

Paradise is great. It's been slow going meeting the ward members, and investigators but little by little we will get there. I don't know if i have ever spoken so much spanish in my life. It has helped me a lot with my spanish and i think we are going to be working a lot more with sister Zegarra's english. We are memorizing "my commission" right now. She repeats it after me and i help her with pronunciation. It has been a good opportunity to think more deeply about the things we say and read as missionaries. How i love being a missionary. Sister Zegarra is working hard. She has such good desire to help everyone. I am excited to be here with her. We both feel a little confused at streets but we bought a good map today that should help us. Thank you president for all that you and your wife do. We love you!

Love


Hermana Burrup

No comments:

Post a Comment